The Journey from Diagnosis to Hope and Healing begins when you decide that you are not a statistic. You have the power to create a new outcome and shift from being fearful of your illness to fearless in face of the odds.
The 5 Pillars of Hope and Healing
by: Sonia Trejo
Healing is multi-dimensional and begins from the inside out. You absolutely have the power to heal, stop and possibly reverse chronic illness. I should know. Based on my last MRIs—and much to the surprise of my medical community—I’m living proof.
There are the 5 Pillars of Hope and Healing. Think of them as medicine. When taken together, you create a foundation of health that can absolutely change your outcome. The 5 Pillars are:
- Personal Advocacy – Too often we accept our diagnosis as ‘fact.’ But, our diagnosis is only one piece of an often complicated puzzle. We have the right and responsibility to investigate all of our options, get 2nd and 3rd opinions if needed and request tests that will complete our picture of health. I am here to offer support to you and your loved ones on that journey.
- Education – The latest research in medicine and healing can often provide keys to a different outcome. Keeping yourself up on the latest research about your illness can help you feel more confident when you speak with your doctors and help you better understand what is happening in your body. I found that the more I read, the more I wanted to know. This web site will offer information and resources to help you.
- Belief – I, along with many others, are living proof that if you change your mind, you can change your life. But, you don’t have to only take my word for it. Research in neuroscience is proving how we can create new pathways in our brain to create new and better lives. Most of us don’t always know how to make these shifts in our beliefs, however. There is a lot to learn, but it can make all the difference in the world. I will guide you to the practices that truly work.
- Nutrition – Sadly, the question of nutrition has become a black and white issue when it comes to healing from illness. One camp that says that nutrition can absolutely heal your body and another camp says that nutrition has very little to do with getting better. Recent studies prove that, without a doubt, nutrition makes a huge difference in how you feel and can go a long way to helping you heal. And, when you eat healthfully AND practice the other Pillars of Health, your foundation will be solid and you can chart a different course than your diagnosis dictates.
- Mobility – Chronic illness can be frighteningly debilitating. And, the fear of the progression of our illness can become so overwhelming that it overrides our belief that we can do anything to affect our outcome. I’ve seen so many people simply give up and give in to what the statistics dictate when it comes to mobility. We come to believe what we are told and then act accordingly. This is how fear and statistics can severely limit our lives.
But, this does not have to be the case. Taking small steps toward specific exercises every day can slowly but surely make all the difference in the world. One client recently came back from a month traveling in Europe. If she had listened to the statistics that suggested that she would never regain normal mobility and balance again, she would have never actualized her dream of traveling. Restore your movement and restore your life.
“ONLY THOSE WHO WILL RISK GOING TOO FAR CAN POSSIBLY FIND OUT HOW FAR ONE CAN GO” T.S. ELIOT
This post originally appeared on Sónia’s blog.