A Look At 2016
Do you ever find that when you think about what has happened in the past year, you can’t remember? Maybe it’s the MS cog fog talking, but I find myself sitting here and thinking, “did I even do ANYTHING in 2016? Did anything even happen??”
And so, I thought it would be nice to do a recap – a look at the past year – what happened in the world of MS Cure Fund in 2016?
2016 started off with the 3rd Annual Adaptive Ski Day on January 11th! It took place at Sunday River in Newry, Maine with Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation! Our participants were able to enjoy a day on the slopes free of charge for them with personalized lessons, ski equipment and experienced guides! Click here to watch the video from this amazing day. If you would like to participate in the 4th Annual Adaptive Ski Day, coming up on January 9, 2017, it’s not too late to register!! Click here for the MS PATIENT Registration form. Click here for the GUEST Registration Form. This event is made for anyone affected by MS! Including: MS patients, caregivers, family, and friends! MS medical professionals, pharmaceutical representatives and those working in the MS field are also welcome!
On July 25th, MS Cure Fund hosted the Inaugural Adaptive Golf Day at Toddy Brook Golf Course in Yarmouth, Maine with Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation! 25 participants enjoyed a day on the course in the beautiful summer weather. Many participants learned how to play the game and some brushed up on their putting skills! Click here to watch the video, and stay tuned for more information about this event in 2017!
Of course we can’t forget about the many, many Patient Education Programs (PEPs). Through these programs, MS Cure Fund is able to offer many benefits to people with Multiple Sclerosis, and their caregivers. Program content is reviewed by top MS Professionals, there are opportunities for attendees to meet with certified health professionals specializing in MS as well as meet other people living with the disease. These seminars are dedicated to unbiased education on trending MS topics.
MS Cure Fund has 5 Programs:
- Lifestyle Management Programs: events where an MS healthcare professional comes to speak in detail about a particular topic related to MS. These programs are designed to empower MS patients with information on a variety of topics so that they can live more fulfilling lives.
- Maximizing Access to Care: This PEP will discuss questions like, What is access to care?, Is access to care different for people with MS?, What is the best way to “come out” at work and not lose your job?, among many other important questions, making the term ‘access to care’ relevant to people living with MS.
- Relapse Management and Rehabilitation: This program, launched in fall of 2016, offers education on how to properly identify a relapse and what steps should be taken to prevent a temporary symptom/deficit from becoming a permanent disability. The program also discusses aspects like when to communicate with a healthcare provider, the importance of logging symptoms, and how to turn fear about the disease into motivation and empowerment to take back health.
- Risks and Benefits of Switching MS Therapies: This program offers a dual presentation between two medical professionals where one presents the risks and benefits of changing therapies from a physician’s standpoint, while another medical professional presents the risks and benefits from a patient’s standpoint. Patients leave better equipped with the confidence and backing to discuss chasing their therapies in line with the latest updates in MS.
- Women Thriving with MS: women-only events that discuss critical issues and important concepts relevant to women living with MS. They are focused on being a mother, a partner, and a friend. During these events, a female neurologist discusses topics such as childbearing, menopause, marriage and more, and time is allowed for discussion and questions.
You can check out various photos from these events, by clicking here, to view the photo gallery. Also – be sure to check out the events calendar that is constantly being updated with new events. There might be one near you!
MS Cure Fund also celebrated a birthday! October 22, 2016 MS Cure Fund celebrated it’s 12th birthday. Click here to watch the birthday video!
As you can see, many things have been happening over the past year at MS Cure Fund. We are looking forward to what 2017 will bring.
Happy New Year!
Social Media & Communications Coordinator, MS Cure Fund